September Rose

"like a rose trampled to the grown, He took the fall....and thought of me, above all."

Name:
Location: NEW ENGLAND, United States

A 40year old female living in New England..... rambling about parenting 4 kids,homeschooling, autism, spiritual abuse, relatives, politics and any other thought that passes through this old brain. I mostly ramble on "in the garden"

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Autum smells. . . .

I just got done baking three apple pies for my family. I had taken my children to the local orchards last week and picked WAY too many apples. The smiles on everyone's faces when they come home today and smell the pies baking will be worth the efforts.

The leaves are beautiful here, and tomorrow I go with my 5 year old on a field trip to pick pumpkins after a hayride.

What do you all do for Halloween? That is where my thoughts are these days.

At our old church we had an alternative party. They called it a "Hallelujah Party". The kids could still dress up (not scary) and play tons of games. The church did an awesome job with their party. Everyone would bake pies and make soup. There would be popcorn popping in a movie theatre type popper. They made cotton candy, had apple cider and coffee. The games that the children played were top of the line. They earned ticketts that they could cash in at the candy booth. Teens were dressed up as old fashioned candy sellers and would doll out tons and tons of candy.

The idea was to let the children have fun while keeping them safe. There was no endorsement of Halloween but they didn't want children to feel "different" or left out.

Well, this year we are no longer in that church. It is not an option for us to go to their party. I thought I would take them, but I recently encountered more spiritual abuse at a pampered chef's party that I went to.

I can not be around this church group, for my own sanity as well as my children's.

I don't want to take my children trick or treating, I get scared at some of the things that I see, let alone my 2 and 5 year old's imagination.

Does anyone have any suggestions????

-jane

5 Comments:

Blogger Zoe said...

Hi Jane,

We use to take our kids out for supper at a restaurant that we all liked & then go swimming at the community centre. When we first started there were like 6 of us in this Olympic sized pool. Three years later there were like 300+ in it. Became quite popular.

As they got a little older, we would chose a movie that was suitable for family viewing & go to see a show after we ate at the restaurant.

They did the Hallelujah party once. Had to dress up as Bible characters. Lots of candy & music.

That was then. Today they are grown adults. :) Hubby & I usually go out for a walk that night.

When I look back now, I wonder if we (I) over-reacted to the whole halloween thing...though at the time I truly believed it was not good to celebrate it.

Anyway, there's a few ideas. :)

5:13 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

No suggestion here. I don't have kids.

On Halloween, I turn all the lights out, and retreat to my office. Since lights from my office aren't visible to the street, kids don't bother.

Yeah. Call me the Halloween version of Scrooge.

10:30 PM  
Blogger The Gig said...

I'm not really sure about Halloween either. Things were sooo different back in the dayy and It was so very enjoyable for not only the kids but also the parents.

5:32 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

blogging any more...?

8:49 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

HELLO! Have you figured out a way to log back in????

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home