September Rose

"like a rose trampled to the grown, He took the fall....and thought of me, above all."

Name:
Location: NEW ENGLAND, United States

A 40year old female living in New England..... rambling about parenting 4 kids,homeschooling, autism, spiritual abuse, relatives, politics and any other thought that passes through this old brain. I mostly ramble on "in the garden"

Monday, October 03, 2005

Grandpa Flanders

My grandfather died a few years ago due to cancer.

My grandfather graduated magna cum laude from Brown University with a degree in Math. He was an officer in the pacific window of WWII with the U.S. Navy. He was a very patriotic man, with old fashioned conservative values. He once told me that the republican party is too liberal and that income tax is unconstitutional. I was a bleeding heart liberal in those days, but he wasn't worried. He said that after college when I went into the real world, I would grow up. He felt that a young person that is not liberal has no heart and an older person who isn't conservative has no brain.

It is him that I think of when I read crap like this: http://brothabuck.blogspot.com/2005/10/dangerous-virtues.html

I think of him and ALL the people who fought for our freedom as Americans- and for the freedom of others as well.

I think of him and the people who burn flags in the name of "freedom of speech".

Do you really think freedom of speech means this?

Do you really think that people gave up their lives to protect our constitution so that people have the right to speak hate?

I personally, don't believe that freedom of speech is about allowing this hatred to be aired.

The problem that I have with those thoughts is, what do we do about it?

Do we make comments like that illegal?

No. The bible has a verse that I love, what comes out of the mouth is an overflow of what is in a man's heart.

The thing is, we can illegalize many things but that only controls the outside actions of a person.

Many christian friends would tell me that the way to "win" men like that is to "love" them. I don't feel much love for someone that hateful. I don't desire to "win" him to our side.

We need to put men like that out of business. who are the people that listen to that crap and go back to support him for more?

I really wanted to end this blurb with a solution, but I don't have one.

What I have is just a whole lot of pain that men like that are allowed to disrespect the lives lost for our freedom of speech.

What I have is a real concern that people exist to support his business.

What I have is fear that when my children grow up there will still be a great divide between color in our nation. . . . . . a nation that is so desparately trying to hang onto it's "under Godness".

God bless America.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
p.s. bother buck, I have no ball and chain icon. I hope this still works. thankyou.
***********************************************************************************************

3 Comments:

Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Nice post Jane. I use Firefox, so maybe yours does not have the globe-and-chain icon. But not to worry, it worked! Thanks.

9:16 AM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Your grandfather sounds like a really good, strong person who lived his life well. He would be glad to read what you wrote about him on your post.

7:24 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

Everyone has the right to speak. Not everyone has the right to be taken seriously.

It's been interesting to see many Christians shrug off his comment. They were doing the same when it was brought to attention that Bennett was a compulsive gambler.

He gets the pass because he is "one of us." That is just plain sad.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home